Sunday, July 13, 2008

Fingerprints of God

This morning in church, I sang the Steven Curtis Chapman song, Fingerprints of God. It's a very good song which is, in essence, a contemporary view of Psalm 139. I'll post a video below so you can hear it, in case you aren't familiar with it.

Because the song was embedded toward the end of the sermon, I sat on the platform so I could make a relatively smooth move to the microphone without being too much of a distraction to the congregation. From my vantage point during the message, I could only see about 1/3 of the congregation during the first service. In my absolute line of sight was a little girl, all of about 6 or 7 years old, confined to a wheelchair. It was plain to see that it wasn't a broken leg or something temporary. She is permanently and devastatingly disabled. As I looked out to her, even 20 minutes before we'd get to the song, my heart was deeply touched as I ran the lyrics through in my head while considering this sight.

My emotions were so jarred by the combination of the powerful lyrics of the song and the plight of this young lady that I barely made it through the song. I don't know if she heard a single word, but I sang that song to that girl with everything I had in me. Following the song, I left the platform, made my way around the back to make sure I was awaiting this young lady and her family as they left the sanctuary following the service. I had the pleasure of meeting little Hannah and her family. She's a precious little thing, and I will never forget her.

The world will look at Hannah all her life and see someone who is flawed, even damaged. But God created her, and He just doesn't make mistakes. Little Hannah touched my heart in a very powerful way today, and I'll never forget her. I complain about so many trivial things, and little Hannah had the biggest smile I've ever seen as I talked to her and told her how pretty she is. She is a masterpiece.





No comments:

Post a Comment