Thursday, July 31, 2008

Rocklin Redeeming Quality #3


In continuing the theme of listing some of the things here in the Rocklin area which I couldn't find in the South Bay, I present to you Mel's Drive-In. You may recall Mel's rose to prominence in the movie American Graffiti. Then again, maybe you're too young to have even heard of the movie. In any case, Mel's became something of a cultural icon during the 50s and 60s.

Mel's diners are still out there, and many have captured the feel of the era in which it was most popular. The one in Roseville is in a strip mall, so it doesn't quite have the retro feeling when you look at it from the outside. Once inside, you'll see lots of pictures, particularly stills from the movie and autographed pictures from George Lucas and others who were featured in the movie. At the time, they were nobodies, but today, they're household names. Ron Howard, Harrison Ford, Suzanne Sommers and many others appeared in that wonderful movie, which was filmed in my home town of Petaluma, California.

Back to Mel's. Anyone who knows me knows I love to eat breakfast at just about any time of day. Mel's is open 24 hours, and last night, I enjoyed the #4 combo of 2 eggs, 3 slices of bacon, hash browns and sourdough toast. Mmmmmmm, I loves me some late night breakfast! At each table, you'll find a little mini jukebox in which you'll find dozens of songs from the 50s, 60s and 70s. There must have been a Beach Boys fan in the house last night, because during my meal, I must have heard at least 3 songs. I didn't mind. I like the Beach Boys.

Mel's Drive-In, good food, open 24 hours, reasonable prices, and the retro feel help you forget about the stresses of today. Definitely a redeeming quality!

No comments:

Post a Comment