Thursday, September 11, 2008

The Day I Couldn't Blink


Today marks the seventh anniversary of the attacks on our nation, known forever as simply "9/11". I woke up that morning as I do every morning. I have the radio on for a little "white noise" while getting ready. I woke up just before 6 am, and the news guy on the radio talked of an accident at the World Trade Center in New York City. I quickly turned on Fox News, and within moments, I witnessed the second plane plow into the south tower.

I sat on the edge of my bed watching the events unfold for nearly an hour before I had to peel myself away to go to work. I ran to my car and turned on the radio. I drove to work, which was about 8 miles away. For those 8 miles, it was like looking through a pane of glass with images on it before seeing what was really in front of me on the road behind it. That pane of glass kept replaying what I had just witnessed. I no sooner got to work and got to my floor when I was greeted by my boss who simply told me to go home, be with my family. Today, there was no getting work done. We were under attack. Suddenly life had reminded us of our ultimate priorities.

I raced home and turned the TV on again. I flipped through every channel I could think of. I don't think I blinked the whole day.

I'll never forget that day, as I'm sure you won't either.

None of us will.

Before the day ended, I picked up my journal and wrote a brief entry. I'll share with you what I wrote on that darkest of days.

Today our nation was attacked by foreign terrorists. They have hijacked plans and crashed them into the World Trade Center and the Pentagon.

Lord, I pray for mercy upon our country and for those who are trapped and injured. Comfort those who need comfort. Be with the families of those who have been injured and killed.

These terrorists probably hope to bring our country to its knees.

Let that be so

For some time following the attacks, our country came together as one. Our churches were packed to the rafters. There were American flags draped from highway overpasses, overhanging traffic in both directions. We were proud to be Americans. We were indeed united.

Sadly, it didn't last. I hope and pray it doesn't take another 9/11 to remind us there is more which unites us than divides us, if only we wouldn't obsess on the differences.

No comments:

Post a Comment