Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Comfort Zone Remodeling?

OK, I'm sure you're well aware of the fact that I'm in a new city, new church, blah blah blah. One thing I'm having to adapt to is the different type of Christmas production I'm going to be part of this year. Since 1998, I've been part of the great Christmas productions at Bethel Church in San Jose. Those things are pretty epic, and it was a real honor to have done solos and felt like a significant part of the tradition during my time there.

Now, as part of a new church, I'm facing new realities. First, they do a different type of Christmas production. For the past few years, they have done a theatrical adaptation of A Christmas Carol, simply called Scrooge. I've been part of productions like this in the past, and even part of a show themed after the original grumpy old man. Being the new kid on the block, I'm taking a significantly reduced role compared to what I'm used to. Hey, I'm fine with that. I am learning my role here.

Yesterday I was asked if I would be interested in being in some kind of ballroom dance scene. I can already hear some of you laughing over the visual image. Knock it off. Don't make me post embarrassing photos of you on here. You know I have them.

I haven't decided yet whether I'm going to do it. I have to admit, that wouldn't exactly be in my comfort zone. I'm a singer...not a dancer! But I'd feel pretty stupid not doing it simply because I think it's goofy. I've got a little Fred Astaire in the red suit on one shoulder, and a Gene Kelly in the white suit on the other.

I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment