Friday, February 6, 2009

Common Sense; Not So Common Anymore

What happened to common sense? At what point in time did it go the way of the dodo? The rotary phone? The "30 minutes or less or your pizza is free"?

For that matter, where did good customer service go? I get so chapped when I go into a store and the cashier is yucking it up with a co-worker, and doesn't even look at me. They're so engrossed in their other conversation, that I feel as if I'm inconveniencing them.

I used to think my first name was pretty unusual. I mean, it's not Mike or John, but it's also not some funky made up artsy fartsy name that celebrities like to saddle onto their kids. By the way,
what is the motivation for that? Do they have their own awards show or something?

And now, the nominees for Most Unique Name for a male born to an A-List Celebrity:
Salamander Jolie-Pitt
Toe Jam Ritchie-Madden
Lemonade Garner-Affleck
Mitt Romney, Jr.

Anyway, I digress. My name is not that unusual. It is commonly misspelled, but it's typically done so the same way each time. My name is correctly spelled C-O-R-E-Y. Many people spell it C-O-R-Y. In the past, I've had it spelled C-O-R-R-Y, C-O-R-R-I-E, or any of those variations with a K as the starting letter. What I find amusing, and insulting at the same time, is when someone responds to a letter I've written them, which includes my correctly spelled name, and they still spell my name wrong. Sometimes, as in an email I received this week, my name was spelled two different ways in the same email, and neither one was correct. I can understand if they were contacting me for the first time, but they were responding to an email I sent them with my name clearly written in the signature. Another person owed me a check, and they put it in an envelope. On the outside of the envelope, my name was spelled correctly. On the check, incorrectly. Do people really have that short of attention spans? What makes matters worse is that these letters are from people in business. Owners, presidents, executives, managers. You would think that at some level, they would understand the value in respecting someone's name.

Anyway, just venting. I've played those games when you try to guess if certain celebrities are alive or dead. You know, Abe Vigoda, dead or alive? Ernest Borgnine, dead or alive.

I had no idea common sense died.

I sure miss it.


No comments:

Post a Comment