Thursday, April 9, 2009

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Try Harder

I'm telling you, I feel as if the last 9 months of my life have been some kind of time warp of life experiences. I've received many private notes from those who have read about the things which have been happening in my life over the past several weeks, and you have all touched my heart. But time marches forward, and so must I.

As I reviewed and updated my resume, I really hated the picture it painted. I am pretty much painted into a professional corner. With getting laid off from three different jobs in the last six months or so, I can't say I was exactly energized to begin the job search process again.

Last Monday, I sat down and just looked at my resume. Then I looked at the typical online job sites.

Good grief. Really? Are you kidding me?

But then an idea was presented to me. My "GBFF" (Girl Best Friend Forever), as we jokingly
refer to one another, (I'm her "BBFF"), called me and said that the law firm she does some side work for could really use some help. They would resort to sending one of their staffers on court runs to the local courts. This would literally take them out of the office for hours at a time, and from work they could be doing which generates income. It would be much more sensible to outsource that kind of stuff to someone. The attorney in her office is also a friend. They have been very supportive and encouraging, and offering some invaluable insight. He'd much rather hire me to do that than send someone from his office.

DING!

I wasn't sure at first. Sounds kind of dumb, being a courier. It didn't sound terribly glamorous or prestigious. But then I was quickly reminded that this isn't about how stuff looks to others. This isn't about impressing other people with my job title. This is about making my own business, and doing it better than anyone else.


I went on a few runs last week, and it was actually really interesting. My friend is a Family Law attorney, so my runs last week included a couple trips to the Family Law Court in Sacramento. I'm telling you, this was a feast for my people-watching eyes. It literally looked like a casting call for an episode of COPS. Aside from that, this work is really intriguing. I have always been fascinated by the legal profession and processes. There are so many little details. Things have to be done properly, or you've got big problems. This isn't mindless work. It really does challenge my mind, which I need.

I enjoyed being out in the beautiful weather. I enjoyed making my own hours. I enjoyed the freedom to go see my dad for a couple hours since I was only about 5 miles from him. I think I could get used to this! But that would mean selling out to this idea, and really giving up on the traditional job searching. I can't be successful in building my business or in a job search if I had one foot in both places. I have to completely go for one or the other.

We designed and printed some business cards by computer just to have something. This week, I have driven all around the area with the yellow pages laid open on my passenger's seat. I targeted the law offices I found within ten miles, and stumbled upon a few I hadn't targeted. So far, every one of them have been receptive. I think I even have four or five committed clients already! I'm not limited to my immediate area, which is actually fun for me. I'd love to get at least twenty clients on board within the next week or two. I don't care who they are or where they are.

I have to admit, cold-calling people is 100% out of my comfort zone. But as the saying goes, necessity is the mother of all invention. I'm in a place where necessity is a driving force, and I can't afford to sit around hoping for interviews. I'm done being a slave to this economy and the numbers game. With a brain, ambition and determination, this can really work. I'm done being the one who gets beaten down. It's time to do some of the beating.

It's time to try harder!

No comments:

Post a Comment