Monday, October 12, 2009

Is It Friday Yet?

How many of you have uttered that phrase? Now how many of you have uttered that phrase within minutes of walking in the door of your job on Monday morning?

Here's another one. I'll be OK once I have a cup of coffee.

Among some of the status messages I've seen on Facebook recently have been things like,
  • "totally thought today was thursday.... just cried a bit realizing it was wednesday... I want the weekend already!!"
  • "It is Wednesday, we are almost to the weekend!"

I'm not going to get all holier than thou on this topic because I've been guilty of this myself, many times! I do, however, want to draw attention to this attitude we have developed of being so over dramatic. We complain about everything. We tend to be really negative with this, "if I can just hang on" mentality.

Why are we this tired? Because you have a job? Because you're in school? Because you have kids? Because you have a house to take care of? Because you have a spouse? All of the above? What are we saying when we are negative about the things in our lives that a great percentage of the world can't begin to dream about.

We get so peeved by filthy rich athletes who whine because they feel that instead of the $20 million dollars they were offered, they feel the are more deserving of $23 million, so they aren't going to play. Yet, we complain about the blessings we have in our lives. The degrees of wealth between us and the spoiled athletes are different, but the scale of our complaining is the same.

Let me reiterate, I have been guilty of the same thing. What I'm writing is more of a challenge to myself than it is to you. But I do want to issue a challenge to all of us. Be positive today. For the next 24 hours, don't allow yourself to say anything negative. If you say something negative, or even think something negative, catch yourself. See if consciously being positive changes your outlook on things. Then, if you can make it 24 hours, make it another 24 after that, then again after that. Make it a lifestyle!

I'm interested in your feedback on this topic. Well, I'm always interested in your feedback, but I would really like to hear of your experiences with this little experiment and your observations.

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.
~Philippians 4:8

1 comment:

  1. Hey that's not fair! It's raining buckets here, can't I complain a little bit about having to come to work on such a miserable day? Nah, seriously you are right on target. We are wrong to complain about the things "that a great percentage of the world can't even being to dream about". My friends from the Sudan have stated many times they can't explain to their families back home all that they see and experience here in the U.S. Their families just can't comprehend it. Just going to a local grocery store here blew their minds, rows and rows of anything and everything you could eat, when back home they barely survived on one small meal a day. I know this and I still complain! So I gladly and humbly accept your challenge! GREAT post today Matelli! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete