Friday, February 19, 2010

Words In Season

Yesterday morning, I was having a bit of a tough day personally. Some words were directed to me which hurt. I have to admit, I can be a sensitive guy when it comes to wanting to please people. I know it's impossible to please everyone all the time. But if there is a way to do it, I'm going to try and find it. Don't get me wrong. There have been plenty of times I've had to make unpopular decisions, but in those times, the strength of my convictions means standing by those decisions.

God knows when we need encouragement. Yesterday, I received a phone call in the late morning which couldn't have been timed more perfectly. I was in my car, moon roof open as I enjoyed the beautiful sunshine and breeze. I felt a little wounded, but I was in the process of putting that behind me. Suddenly, my phone rang. My caller ID told me who it was, but I don't recall ever getting a call from them before. The call was from a person who wanted to compliment me on the worship in the Man Cave Wednesday night. The call took all of two or three minutes, but it meant the world to me. It was just a simple story about a man who was there the other night and had a special enough experience that they felt I should know about it. 

There is something very profound about a word in season. In other words, when someone shares with you the right message at the right time. It can be words of encouragement, affirmation, words of correction, words of advice...you name it. This seasoned word encouraged me that, A) I'm not entirely messed up, and B) God is touching the hearts of men through me. 

I needed that.

Today, maybe you're the messenger God wants to use to encourage someone who needs it. Don't ignore that still small voice that spoke someone's name into your heart. Even if they're not going through a crisis, you will bless them greatly just knowing you notice their effort, and that you appreciate them.