Friday, March 5, 2010

Be Yourself

There have been many times in my life when I really didn't like who I was. It's not that I had some crippling habits or that I grew up in a horrible situation or anything. There have just been times when I wished I wasn't the way I was. Those times usually came when I was feeling like an outcast in social settings where I wish I could have fit in better. But then something happened. I found that there were some people in my life who loved and accepted me exactly for who I was. Suddenly, I began to appreciate the very qualities I had once despised. 


We all have different facets to our personalities. Certain situations and people can bring out the extremes of who we are. I am a pretty laid back individual. I'm not a very demonstrative guy at all. But you get me on stage singing songs I love in front of hundreds or thousands of people, and something within me comes out that you won't see in your living room. 


On the other hand, people and situations can sometimes bring out the negatives. We sometimes say and do things we normally wouldn't. We're just not perfect. Anyone can be sweet and loving when things are going well. But when times get tough, when stress happens, do we change? Does another side of our personality come raging out of us?

These situations don't change who we are. They reveal who we are.


If you find yourself around situations or people which bring out your dark side, you need to make some adjustments. I found that when I filled my life with people who embraced me for who I am, my confidence grew. My ministry grew. I built relationships with people I admire. As a result, I found that I relaxed and settled in to being exactly who I am. I didn't stress out about trying to be someone I'm not just to fit in. When I turned that corner in my life, I found that the situations which had previously tripped me up had now become inconsequential to me. My circumstances no longer changed my attitude. My attitude changed my circumstances. 


God made me the way I am. I'm thankful for the gifts He has given me. Not a day goes by that I'm not challenged to take another step further in my personal development. I have people in my life who bring out my very best. I have people in my life who believe in me. I want to be the type of man who sees and brings out the very best in you.


As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

~Proverbs 27:17

No comments: