Saturday, April 17, 2010

Saturday Rerun: October 3, 2008

This post is a year and a half behind me, but the message is just as true to me today as it was then.

Putting Yourself In Position

Being in the right place at the right time is one of those maddening, impossible-to-quantify truths of life. So many times, it just happens without any forethought. In other cases, people go to great lengths of study and analysis to determine when the perfect confluence of where and when that place and time will occur.

I believe that I have learned something of great value over the last couple of months. As I write these words, I don't think that what I'm expressing is actually some new thought for me, but something that has become more of a day-to-day way of life. Being in the right place and right time is a partnership between man and God. The "right place" is pretty much all on us. I truly believe God is always willing and eager to bless us. But more often than not, at least in my life, I'm not in the right place in my heart to receive the things I truly want in my life.

This season, this move that I've made, though physical, was more spiritual than anything. It was an outward manifestation of my heart's unyielding desire to grow to a place, and at a rate I had never experienced before. This has nothing to do with the city and church I was in, or am in. It was solely due to my own stagnancy in my heart.

Being willing to move to a new town, a new church, new job, new friends and so on, was both overwhelming, and exhilarating. I knew deep in my heart that I was putting myself in a position where I had no choice but to depend on God for my very survival. Every single day has required of me things that I could go months without doing before. There is something about being stripped down to nothing which causes us to instinctively return to the fundamentals of life. In my case, the fundamentals of my Christian life.


As I am taking care of the "right place", I am seeing God begin to take care of the "right time" things. As I was sharing with my friend last night, I am striving to be the man He
wants me to be. As that happens, I have faith that He will release blessings to me. I don't expect that to mean that life will be easy. That's unrealistic. But He has been faithful as I have worked to draw nearer to Him, and putting myself in position to receive from Him, I'm confident He has good things in store for me, and the lives of those I touch.