Monday, May 3, 2010

Location, Location, Location

I was reminded of this old real estate adage yesterday in church. It got me to thinking about how important it is to be in the center of God's will. I think we tend to think of this place as being an itty bitty spot that is almost impossible to find, much less stay in with any degree of consistency. 

In my life, I have definitely been outside His will. However, I have spent much time being where God wants me to be. In those cases, it has always been when I have purposed to be who He wants me to be. I am simply at my best when I concern myself with pleasing Him rather than myself or anyone else. When I look to Him, I simply can't help but bless the lives of others, while at the same time, experiencing His goodness in my life. This doesn't mean everything goes perfectly. This doesn't mean things are easy. It just means that my faith is strong when my heart is properly calibrated with His.

Psalm 37:23-24 tells us that when we please God's heart, He stabilizes the very ground we walk on. In other words, He will bless our journey when we focus on Him. Verse 24 even makes allowance for the inevitable times when we lose our balance in life. We don't need to be perfect. Just submitted and committed. 

God is blessing me abundantly. It is not because of my righteousness. He is blessing me because, 

   A) He loves me. 
   B) Because He knows without His blessing, I'm lost. 
   C) Because I know that without Him, I'm lost. 
   D) Because I know that anything good about me is because of His love and faithfulness.

I don't stress out anymore about trying to make things happen. Life is just too big and too complicated on your own. You can do all the right things, and still the end result can blow up in your face. But when I'm in right relationship with God, He will order my steps and put me in the right place at precisely the right moment. By my doing, it's coincidental. By God's doing, it's providential. The pressure is completely off of me.  


If you're agonizing over something in your life right now, let it go. Release it. Instead, focus on pleasing the Lord. Trust Him. Trust His word. He's working on something for you right now that will blow your mind. But the only way you'll recognize it, the only way you'll have the wisdom to appreciate it, the only way you'll have the maturity to receive it is to put yourself in the right location. It's not as elusive as you think.