Wednesday, May 19, 2010

When the going gets tough

Yeah, you know the rest of the famous quote. The essence of the saying is that difficulties do not change who we are, they reveal who we are. I know people who are going through the most difficult times of their entire lives as I write this sentence. What amazes and inspires me is that in the face of these difficulties, they find the ability to laugh. They remain faithful to their beliefs. They don't hide away from friends, families and commitments.

On the flip side, there are people with motives and intentions which blow my mind. You can't find people with such evil in their hearts in the cheesiest of soap operas. In my business, I run across a lot of situations where you see people in some difficult situations. Some handle it with dignity, others with the worst behavior imaginable. 

These circumstances remind me that when the going gets tough, who we are will be revealed and intensified. I pray that when I go through the storms of life, I will handle things with the grace, dignity, humility and most of all, the faith I have seen in the people I admire the most. If I don't handle things the way I should, I pray I have a soft heart to receive the counsel of those I trust.


If you're going through a difficult time, be objective and honest with yourself with how you're handling things. If you aren't happy with the way you're dealing with it, spend some time with someone you trust and admire. Ask them to walk with you and mentor you. Choose someone who possesses wisdom and faith. Choose someone who will spend time in prayer with you. Choose someone who will open their bible with you.


If you're not going through a storm right now...you will. Sorry to tell you that. In the calm, prepare yourself. Fortify your faith. Fortify your mind. Fortify your heart. Once again, God's Word contains all we need to prepare us for the inevitable storms in our lives.