Saturday, July 19, 2008

Holy Blockbuster, Batman!

I went and saw the new Batman movie, The Dark Knight. I had read and heard about the enormous crowds lining up to see the movie, so I decided to arrive at the theater in Santana Row a couple hours before the show we were going to. There was no one in line. What's up with that? The whole country is going nuts for this movie, and there was absolutely no hysteria where I was.

I fully expected to
see people in costume, and this caped lady toward the front of the line in the minutes before they opened the doors was the only nutjob enthusiast I saw.

The movie was gr
eat. I don't see nearly the number of movies I used to, but this was definitely worth breaking the drought. It's not the cheesy Batman we grew up on, with the slanted bad guy hideouts, nor is it the 1989 Batman with Michael Keaton and Jack Nicholson which was also fairly cheesy. I wasn't really wild about the casting of Maggie Gyllenhaal, but Heath Ledger was everything the hype suggested. He was truly a gifted actor. He brought a lot of very edgy qualities that you just can't put into a script.

It was a great night, and it was just nice to not think about the state of turmoil and transition that my life is in right now. Tomorrow is my last Sunday at Bethel as a full time member, and my last solo with The Voices of Bethel, so the distraction last night was a nice getaway. Tomorrow is going to be a tough one.

No comments:

Post a Comment