Monday, August 25, 2008

Half Birthday


Do you remember when we were kids and we were in such a hurry to grow up? We were 6 and a half, we were 10 going on 11. I mean, that was a huge deal to us back then.

Today, I am 43 and a half.

(did my hip just pop?)

I have no idea where all t
he time went. On Facebook, I found some pictures from former high school classmates of our 25th reunion which took place recently. It seems my plan in completely removing myself from that scene has been a total success. I didn't know anything about the reunion until afterwards. I honestly have had no desire to attend any of that stuff. My life has many chapters, but like the bible, there's on "old testament" and a "new testament" to my life. And pretty much, everything up through my senior year of high school falls under the category of old. Not that I did horrible things that I regret, because I didn't. It's just that my life took a serious course change when I was 18 years old, and there has been no looking back.

I know so many of my peers who still live in the 80s and their "glory days". I am so glad that my best days are not behind me. And certainly not a quarter of a century behind me. I can be pretty nostalgic, and I enjoy remembering when life was less complicated. Troy and I often commiserate on having to wear the "big boy" pants when life demands we do so. So I understand the fun and even necessity of thinking about the "good ol' days".

I just feel there is joy in the moment. I'm not in the hurry to reach my next birthday as I was when I was 12. I'm also trying not to wish I was 10-20 years younger. Sure, "if I knew then what I know now" is a common thought. Sure, I see so many 20 and 30somethings out there who make me feel old. But I'm really trying to be positive in my attitude about who I am and where I am in life. It's a simple fact that no matter how much we dwell on it, there's nothing we can do about the past, and what we do today is likely going to have a great impact on our future.

Today, I'm 43 and a half. My goal for today is to do something which will have a positive impact on someone's life which will outlive me.

Tomorrow's goal: Do it again


No comments:

Post a Comment