Thursday, May 28, 2009

T-Minus 29 Days

And so begins the countdown. This will be my 12th consecutive year as
part of a patriotic production known as Celebrate America. However, this year's will be very different for me, as I will be doing a totally different show in a totally different community.

Despite the shows having the same name, and even some of the same songs I've been part of in the past, the shows are very different. I'm very happy because I will be reunited with a song I have always enjoyed singing. The song is called Hero For Today. The first time I sang it before an audience, we were honoring a hand full of Pearl Harbor survivors. We had a great video clip with footage from the attack from December 7, 1941, along with some interviews of those who were there on that fateful day. When the video ended, the gentlemen in attendance who we were honoring stood as they were introduced to the audience. They then stood at attention as the song's introduction started. I'm a pretty emotional guy, and in that moment, it felt like I had a volleyball lodged in my throat.

This song has always been special to me, but because we did it so many years in a row, it got put in mothballs for the past several years. So, it will be a personal thrill to sing it again, this time for an entirely different audience.

The chills on my arm, however, will be very familiar.

The show will be on June 27 in Rocklin. There will be a full afternoon of family activities, followed by the show at 7:30. Once our show is done, there will be an aerial fireworks show for the entire city. Admission to the park where the festivities will be held is absolutely free. There will be food and beverage vendors who will have food for sale, or you can bring your own picnic basket. Alcohol will not be allowed or provided.

I'm very excited we have this opportunity. It's a very cool thing how it all happened. Let's just chalk it up to another one of those "God things". There simply is no other way to describe it.

For more information about the show, check out http://celebrateamericaonline.com/

Also, the city of Rocklin has included details about the production right on the city's official website. They tell a little bit more about how the perfect timing of our show coming along fit in with the city's economic belt-tightening. Check it out here.

In the days leading up to, and including the day of the show, I'll be sharing my experiences, pictures and comments on my Twitter page, at http://twitter.com/coreymatelli

I hope to see you there...or here. Either way!

No comments:

Post a Comment