Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Lie of the Tiger

Despite the title, this isn't one of those trendy 'bash Tiger Woods' articles. That's too easy, and frankly, who among us is deserving to throw stones? What I want to focus on is one very transparent paragraph Tiger shared in his worldwide apology last Friday morning. I don't care whether you think his apology was sincere or not. What he shared was absolutely the right thing to say if one were to be completely honest with themselves, much less the entire world.
"I stopped living by the core values that I was taught to believe in. I knew my actions were wrong, but I convinced myself that normal rules didn't apply. I never thought about who I was hurting. Instead, I thought only about myself. I ran straight through the boundaries that a married couple should live by. I thought I could get away with whatever I wanted to. I felt that I had worked hard my entire life and deserved to enjoy all the temptations around me. I felt I was entitled. Thanks to money and fame, I didn't have to go far to find them."

Tiger Woods, perhaps the most famous, most wealthy and most recognized human alive is powerless to temptation. As I addressed in my post last week about the alluring nature of temptation, it always comes in a harmless and attractive package. But once you open the door to it, there are disastrous consequences. Once you give in to it, you are completely at its mercy. How much money do you think Tiger Woods has paid others to keep his secrets? It's all over the news and the subject of books the depth of deception former Presidential candidate John Edwards went to keep his ugly behavior from a public who was seriously considering making him the most powerful man in the world. The number of people involved to keep the lies away from the media and the public is astounding. The lives these men controlled, compromised and stressed to the breaking point is unconscionable.

Tiger Woods' admission that he felt the rules didn't apply to him was his Kryptonite. He has been forced to face that no matter how much money he has, no matter how big his house, no matter how famous, no matter how beautiful his wife, no matter how many cars he has...there is no such thing as enough. His addiction isn't sex. He has a lust for more.