Wednesday, July 7, 2010

False sense of security

For the fourth time in the five years that I've had my current vehicle, it was broken into. Fortunately, the Rocklin bandit(s) proved to be less destructive than their San Jose counterparts. This time, no windows were broken.

I had gotten a bit complacent. Instead of removing anything of value from the inside of my car as I had grown accustomed to doing in SJ, I felt safe and secure enough to just leave my GPS on my dash when I parked the car for the night. But I learned a valuable and harsh lesson one morning last week. No matter where you live, no matter whether it's gated or not, no matter how big or small the town, there are people out there who won't hesitate to help themselves to what you've worked hard for.

Despite the fact that God is our protector, and is omnipotent and omnipresent, we must still be wise in protecting ourselves from those who do not have our best interests at heart. John 10:10 tells us that the thief comes to "steal, kill and destroy". I felt violated as someone entered my car, went through it like it was some kind of shopping spree, then helped themselves to things I had earned, and they did not. But more than anything, I felt responsible for not taking care of my stuff properly. It is a sad fact that we just can't assume we are safe anymore. The same is true in our spiritual journeys. 

1 Peter 5:8 instructs us to be "self-controlled and alert". We must always be aware of our surroundings. We must guard our hearts. We must be wise not to allow things, people, behaviors or anything else to sneak into our lives like a thief in the night, seeking only to steal from us what is most valuable. Do not assume that the devil, and even people walking among us in our community, are not out there looking for ways to steal from you. 

Luke 12 tells us to focus our lives on building wealth that a thief cannot reach. We are to build treasures in Heaven by doing things which please the Father. Money and tangible possessions can come and go in the blink of an eye. So many get consumed with attaining wealth and possessions. This is why verse 34 says, "where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

Where is your heart? Where is your treasure? Is it vulnerable? Or is it safe in the capable hands of God?